About us - MTM POWERSPORTS
Story of BRP
In 2003, BRP became a stand-alone company. We brought with us an impressive portfolio of products that had been enabling unforgettable experiences for our customers for a long time.
In 1937, Joseph-Armand Bombardier is granted a patent for the first ever vehicle that can travel on snow, developed in his garage in Valcourt, Quebec, through determination and daring. A second, larger vehicle follows, and he founds his own company in 1942: L’Auto-Neige Bombardier Limité. Over the years, J.-A. Bombardier refines his design, and launches the Ski-Doo in 1959, already powered by a Rotax motor. This innovative product creates a new sport.
In the years to follow, always seeking to innovate, every playground was explored, revolutionizing the powersports industry.
Today, the BRP riders can be transported on snow, on water, on the ground, and even in the air. We’re proud of being a Canadian company that’s now recognized worldwide. Our eight brands, Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, Can-Am on-road and off-road, Lynx, Evinrude, Rotax, Manitou and Alumacraft, are iconic in the powersports and marine industries. We are united by our passion to keep moving forward towards new adventures, giving our customers around the world the power to create their best memories.
Some important dates
- 1942 - Start up of Auto-neige Bombardier Limitée
- 1959 - Industry 1st Ski-Doo snowmobile
- 1968 - Industry 1st Sea-Doo PWC
- 1970 - Acquisition of the Austrian Company Rotax-Werk
- 1989 - Acquisition of the company Nordtrac Oy and the Lynx brand
- 1998 - Bombardier enters the ATV market
- 2001 - Acquisition of the Evinrude and Johnson brands
- 2003 - Bombardier sells its Recreational Products division; BRP is officially launched
- 2007 - Industry 1st three-wheel vehicle
- 2010 - BRP enter the side-by-side market
- 2013 - BRP’s Initial Public Offering